Why am I blogging a trip to Poland?

For over 20 years I've been working on a Family Tree, tracing the BETEL family back to the late 1700s.

Traveling to Berlin and then Poland was a life changing experience. I hope you take the time to read through the stories and see the many images included.
Michael



Saturday, March 19, 2011

Tour Guide Success!

Great news to wake up to this morning!

One of the routes I took to try and identify a guide was to contact the Jewish Community of Krakow.

http://krakow.jewish.org.pl/index.php?lang=e

I wrote an email asking for assistance with my trip, and a couple of weeks later, just when I had given up hope, I received a response from a woman named Ruth.  She lives in Krakow and generously agreed to take me around Krakow the day I arrive (April 4th), and drive with me to Szydlow, Rakow and Potok, the towns where my Grandparents were born and lived. This is fantastic because Ruth can translate and act as a guide - exactly what I need.  One of my goals is to visit the Civic Offices and try to get the original birth records for my Great Grandparents, my Grandmother, and maybe even property deed records if at all possible.

Ruth did recommend taking a guided tour to Auschwitz and Birkenau as well as the Salt Mine - safer and easier with regard to entrance and travel.

Coincidentally, I also heard from the #2 Tour Company , Krakow Tours telling me they were completely booked the days I wanted to have them. Oh well!  Fate????

So now I'm booked now for :

April 4th to see Krakow, Old Town and the Jewish District of Kazimierz - Hey I have half a day!
April 5th: Szydlow, Rakow and Potok

Still to plan:
April 6th: Auschwitz, Birkenau (this is a whole day)
April 7th: Wieliczka Salt Mines (2 hours here) and Oskar Schindler's Factory (3 hours needed here)

Somehow need time to see Main Market Square (Rynek Glowny), and Cloth Hall (Sukiennice) in Krakow, which are supposed to be really great.

It's going to be a very busy 4 days!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment